Am I a bad person?

mrfleming
mrfleming
Veteran in Off Topic

Am I a bad person because I don't want to tell my monthly game friends about APT?

Comments

• 1warlock
    1warlock
    Power Poster

Yup. you are a horrible horrible person. Fortunately, to be a good poker player, you need a little sociopath in you :)

• mrfleming
    mrfleming
    Veteran

@1warlock said:
    Yup. you are a horrible horrible person. Fortunately, to be a good poker player, you need a little sociopath in you :)

This is exactly the answer i am looking for

• highfive
    highfive
    Power Poster
    Thank you @1warlock. I usually want all other players including friends to go home with lint in their pockets. Friendly at the table. Friends later. :D
  • 1warlock
    1warlock
    Power Poster

@highfive said:
    Thank you @1warlock. I usually want all other players including friends to go home with lint in their pockets. Friendly at the table. Friends later. :D

You let them keep their pants? Man, you're a softie :)

• highfive
    highfive
    Power Poster
    In Vegas my friend and his son wanted to play a poker tourney at the Horseshoe when that was a thing. I said let's do it. I had never played before. Literally sitting at the table thinking, " a flush beats a straight " repeatedly.
    So my friend gets moved to my table 2 to my right. 17 left top 10 get paid. My friend opens. I look down at AJo. Kinda short stacked. I cringe. I can see on his face he has something good. I know what i have to do. I ship it. Spike an A on the flop and cripple him. He's out next hand. He had 2 tens.
    He didn't talk to me for 2 weeks.
    I haven't changed a bit.
    @1warlock
  • hardlifeh
    hardlife
    Veteran

hahahhahahahaha! sorry!

• hardlifeh
    hardlife
    Veteran

@mrfleming said:
    Am I a bad person because I don't want to tell my monthly game friends about APT?

No. nobody told me about it.

• AJHPokerA
    AJHPoker
    Veteran

Yeah you are total trash... but so am i since i need them to stay fishy to pay for my subscription

• mrfleming
    mrfleming
    Veteran

I believe my training on this site has begun to pay off after 2 years +. Over the last three months I've won my home game twice and came in second once. Am I having a good run of luck or have I become to good to play with this group? Do I need to find another game, which won't be easy? If this keeps up will I be asked to not play? Am I going to loose friends?

• monkeysystem
    monkeysystem
    Veteran

Before Black Friday my parents played online alot and got pretty good. They also used to host a home game about once a month or so with friends who lived on the same lake nearby. After a while those friends stopped coming.

Poker doesn't have handicaps like golf and bowling. And your friends have no right to expect you to soft play them, just to keep the friendship.

If you're worried about losing friends because of your poker game, do something else with them.

• mrfleming
    mrfleming
    Veteran edited April 14

@monkeysystem said:
    Before Black Friday my parents played online alot and got pretty good. They also used to host a home game about once a month or so with friends who lived on the same lake nearby. After a while those friends stopped coming.

Poker doesn't have handicaps like golf and bowling. And your friends have no right to expect you to soft play them, just to keep the friendship.

If you're worried about losing friends because of your poker game, do something else with them.

you're right

• nytider
    nytider
    Power Poster

I don’t advertise APT at my league games or my home games. I would like to, just to help the APT guys. But I have two issues. First, I don’t want my competition to get better. And second, I don’t want the extra scrutiny that comes with people knowing I am actively working away from the table on improving my game.

I also try to refrain from “tapping the tank” in other ways as well. I don’t tell people what they did wrong in Hands. I don’t tell people why limping is bad. I don’t tell them how I knew their range was capped, or what a capped range even is.

However, I do have an inner circle of friends who discuss poker. If we are in a relationship where we are helping each other, I will share some things. I have, to date, shared APT with four friends. I think only one or two have actually checked it out.

I also agree with the comment above that nobody told me about it. I first learned about APT because my wife stumbled upon it while searching for resources to help me improve.

As far as my friendships relative to poker, I don’t really play poker with friends very much. By that I mean that I don’t play much with people who were friends outside of poker before we played poker together. Most of my poker friends were people I met through poker and then established friendships away from the table over time.

• mrfleming
    mrfleming
    Veteran

Thanks nytider; I like your approach. Right now I am only telling family about my off the table study. If one of them takes up the game then I'll require a cut of their cashing. ;)
    mrfleming

• baldrick
    baldrick
    New Poster

Off the table, I would tell family members, and some close friends how I train. I would recommend they try those avenues that have been positive experiences for me. APT would certainly be in that category. While at a table, I offer very little information, but listen to others who speak about the poker books they like, instructional videos they watch, or training sites they have used, and whether or not they have considered them helpful. In my opinion, this is important information. If I am familiar with the source(s) of where a player claims to have gained their poker knowledge, I will form some hypothesis about what that player's style might be like, based on how they say they have learned, and what I understand that learning source to teach. Of course these hypothesis need to be tested with what I observe in their actual play. There have been times where this information has given me an increased edge.

Sign In to comment.